I know what you’re thinking; who wants to eat a skinny chicken? Not this girl. And thankfully, with this recipe, the “skinny” refers to the fact that this is a lower-fat version of traditional chicken tortilla soup. If your not watching your weight, the ingredients can be easily swapped out for the full-fat versions.
With the cooler temperatures and shorter days of fall, I crave hearty, comfort foods, but not the extra calories that typically come with hearty comfort foods. This soup is a perfect compromise. An added bonus: it’s not too spicy, so my kids (with their more delicate palates) can eat it, too. This soup freezes well, so I usually double the recipe and freeze the extras for nights when I’m crunched for time, or just don’t feel like cooking.
Skinny Chicken Tortilla Soup
A lower-fat version of the traditional favorite.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans no-salt-added, fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (16 oz) can fat-free refried beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided into four servings
- Reduced fat sour cream (optional, for topping)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned. Add garlic and onion; saute 3 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, refried beans and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Ladle into bowls; top with tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, and reduced fat sour cream (optional).
Home Remedies http://homeremediesrx.com/
You can also spice things up by adding sauteed red or green bell peppers, a small can of diced green chilies, or an extra tablespoon of chili powder. Enjoy!
Cedar Hill Farmhouse , Between Naps on the Porch, Coastal Charm , Brepurposed, Burlap and Babies, I Should Be Mopping the Floor, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia , Cozy Little House, Setting For Four, Happy House and Home, Love Grows Wild, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Simple Life Of A Firewife
A Stroll Thru Life, Just A Girl And Her Blog, Home Stories A to Z, Tiny Sidekick, Tip Junkie
Savvy Southern Style , The Turquoise Home , The Real Housewives of Riverton, Someday Crafts, Crafty Allie, Cherished Bliss, Snap Creativity, The Blissful Bee, Family Home and Life, The Thrifty Home, Made In A Day, Seven Alive, Live Laugh Rowe
Liz Marie Blog, City Farmhouse , Sweet Haute, Chic California, The Pin Junkie , A Delightsome Life , Craftberry Bush, Joy In Our Home, Glitter Glue and Paint, A Glimpse Inside, Too Much Time On My Hands, Posed Perfection
The Shabby Nest, My Romantic Home , French Country Cottage , The Girl Creative, The 36th Avenue, Lolly Jane, I’m Not A Trophy Wife , The Charm of Home, I Heart Naptime, The Cottage Market
Six Sisters Stuff, Be Different Act Normal , Reasons To Skip The Housework, Funky Junk, It’s Overflowing, A Little Clairification, The Girl Creative, Reasons To Skip The Housework
Thoughts From Alice, View From The Fridge, Under The Table, Delineate Your Dwelling, The DIY Showoff